Wednesday, November 20, 2013

First Indoor Infant Photography Session

I'm so excited!  I had the opportunity to shoot a sweet newborn last week.  I used tips from assorted photography resources to set up a studio in the family's home so they did not have to travel.  Shooting babies indoors is much trickier than shooting them outside.  A: Indoor lighting is usually terrible.  B:  Using a flash on a sleepy baby is just rude, poor thing!  I set my impromptu studio (kitchen chairs, large blanket, and rubber bands) near a large glass door and got some pretty good shots!


Keep looking to see the rest of my shots!



I can't decide how I feel about this shot.  I love the baby feet, but I'm unsure about the wrap.


Does she look like a boy in this picture?  Or does the photo appear purple?

Pictures with sleepy baby hands by the face make my hear happy.  I'm so happy she cooperated =]






We took the girls outside to get some casual, candid shots of the girls, too.
 (children cooperate way more outside =] )


The two mama's were impressed with these genuine grins- apparently these cousins fight ALL the time! =]

This girl is so spunky; I love it.


I learned a lot from this shoot:

1. I need a light reflector.  
Some of the shoots would have been greatly improved with a second light source bouncing from the opposite side of the window.
2. I need a beanbag.  I was using a boppy pillow in a few of these, but the incline is just too much sometimes.  Having the gradual "bowl" shape you can make in a beanbag would be great.
3. It's easier to shoot a newborn without toddlers around trying to steal the spotlight.  I brought Jackson to the shoot to meet these friends and he was obnoxious- he loves the camera AND babies...


I've become more comfortable with handling other people's newborns since my first photo shoot.  I used to be nervous that the mother would hover and worry about positions I was placing the baby in, but I have not experienced that.  I'm also happy to be a mom learning to shoot infants- I have the "mom touch" for calming fussy newborns when placing them in new positions.



These photos were from my first non-family member infant photo shoot.
I think photos of babies crying are hilarious.



Pondering Deeply
Big baby yawn






No comments:

Post a Comment